MCF @ RUFORUM Scholarships Academic Year 2018/2019
The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with the Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture, a network of 66 universities in 26 African countries. The partnership focuses on ‘Transforming African Agricultural Universities to meaningfully contribute to Africa’s growth and development’. The aim of partnership is to transform African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation.
Under this partnership, 110 undergraduate and 110 masters scholarships will be provided over a period of eight years. The scholarships target academically deserving yet economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities and those coming from conflict and post conflict areas of Africa. The scholarships are tenable at Egerton University in Kenya and Gulu University in Uganda.
Students enrolled under this scholarship programme will receive comprehensive scholarships, leadership development, life skills support, entrepreneurship training and mentorship and exposure to community engagement. For the academic year 2018/2019, 20 undergraduate and 10 masters scholarships are available of which 70% will be for Kenya and Uganda nationals. For undergraduate scholarships, 60% will be awarded to female applicants and 50% at masters.
Applicants should obtain application forms for both the scholarships and admission from the university of choice. Applicants shall only apply to one university of choice. Application forms can also be downloaded from the respective websites: RUFORUM, Gulu University and Egerton University. Applicants are encouraged to carefully study the application guidelines and provide all the required information and documents prior to submitting the application. Females are particularly encouraged to apply.
1. Be a national of Kenya or Uganda to benefit from the national respective scholarship quota respectively.
2. Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region scholarship quota.
3. Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities,coming from conflict and post conflict areas.
4. Be less than 25 years for undergraduate and less than 30 years for masters studies at the time of application.
5. Should have completed secondary school and/or diploma for a Bachelors degree application not more than two years from the time of this call.
6. The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programmes in the University of Choice (Egerton University or Gulu University).
7. For admission into Gulu University for an undergraduate degree programme one must have attained the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)-High School Certificate (HSC) or its equivalent with two principal passes. For admission into Egerton University one must have completed the Kenya Secondary Education Certificate (KSCE) or its equivalent with at least C+ pass.
8. Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship.
9. Demonstrate leadership qualities.
10. Have commitment to working in agriculture and agricultural value chains.
11. Have a strong commitment to community transformation.
Applications can be submitted in hard copy or by email attachment to the university of choice. Applications (PDF) by email attachment should not be more than 1 MB for the two file attachment (university admission and scholarship application).
The deadline to apply for the 2018/2019 academic year for The MasterCardfdn@RUFORUM Scholarships is Friday, 28th February 2018 at 17:00 Hours (GMT+3).