Mr. Toolit Samuel is a Principal Accountant attached to the Revenue Mobilization Unit. He is a member of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda (ICPAU) – level II. He holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Accounting from Makerere University and a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Gulu University. He attended training in Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) use and development at the Eastern and Southern African Management Institute (ESAMI) Arusha – Tanzania and Computer Driving licenses at Gulu University. He possesses more than thirteen years of work experience in accountancy in higher education and has held senior positions at Gulu University. He joined Gulu University in 2003 and subsequently the Finance Department in 2008 and rose through the ranks from an Accounts Assistant to the position of Principal Accountant. Read More
1) Oversees the staff and ensures that all transactions, processing, balancing, reconciliations and related accounting functions are performed in an accurate and timely manner.
2) Provides leadership and formulates internal policy and procedures. Participates in division-wide decision-making.
3) Makes a follow-up to the performance of revenue mobilizations both from students and other sources. This includes tuition fees and other non-tax revenue, for example, bids, rent, etc.
4) Responsible for issues related to student account refunds.
5) Responsible for data collection, maintenance, reconciliation and reporting (data reflects amounts students paid as well as their enrolment status), following guidelines and requirements set by the University; implements changes yearly as needed.
6) Responsible for Customer Service and troubleshooting.
7) Manages the financial management system, assesses and advises on its viability to meet the current and future needs of the University.
8) Assists in preparing annual work plans and financial budgets for the Office of the University Bursar and in their implementation.
9) Provides support for developing fiscal plans and preparing, consolidating and monitoring the implementation of University budgets and work plans.
10) Assists in reporting on financial transactions of the University including the preparation of accountabilities, financial statements, and update and custody of financial records.
11) Enforces compliance with the use of all computerized systems of the Government of Uganda.
12) Enforces accountability and risk management systems for resources and assets of the University.
13) Supports the conduct of audits and prepares timely responses to audit queries and mandatory inquiries whenever necessary.
14) Advises and makes proposals to the Deputy University Bursar – Revenue Mobilization / Grants on the staff development needs of the unit.
15) Supervises employees in the Revenue Mobilization Unit and writes reports to the Deputy University Bursar.