The Salaries and Wages Unit is headed by a Principal Accountant: Ms. Layet Agnes Single. Ms. Layet holds a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in Accounting from Gulu University and a Bachelor of Business Administration Degree from Gulu University. She is pursuing the CPA programme at the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Uganda, currently at level II. She has more than fifteen years of work experience in accountancy in higher education, having held senior positions at Gulu University. She joined Gulu University in 2005 and rose to the position of Principal Accountant. Read More
1) To supervise the update of the University Payroll, payment of salaries/wages and all employees’ benefits, payment and filing of statutory and other deductions in accordance with the Gulu University Human Resources Manual 2017.
2) To manage the financial management system, assess and advise on its viability to meet the current and future needs of the University.
3) To assist in preparing annual work plans and financial budgets for the Office of the University Bursar and in their implementation.
4) To support in developing fiscal plans and in preparing, consolidating and monitoring implementation of University budgets and work plans.
5) To assist in reporting on financial transactions of the University including the preparation of accountabilities, financial statements and update and custody of financial records.
6) To enforce compliance with instituted accounting, accountability and risk management systems for resources and assets of the University.
7) To support the conduct of audits and prepare timely responses to audit queries and mandatory inquiries whenever necessary.
8) To develop and report financial forecasts, including cash flow forecasts, to guide fiscal policy and financial management in the University.
9) To manage and assess the performance of staff.
10) To advise and make proposals to the University Bursar on the staff development needs of the Office.
11) To mentor, coach and counsel staff.
12) To enforce compliance on the use of all computerized systems of the Government of Uganda.