POSITION OF VICE CHANCELLOR - (RE-ADVERTISED)
Gulu University is a Public University established by Statutory Instrument No. 16 of 2003. The University was set up to serve as a launch pad for equitable development in Uganda providing knowledge and skills and stimulating innovations in education, technology, economic advancement and social development. The University is located in Gulu Municipality with campuses in Kitgum and Hoima districts.
The vision of the University is to be a leading academic institution for the promotion of rural transformation and industrialization for sustainable development.
The mission of the University is to expand access to higher education, provide quality professional training for delivery of appropriate social services and conduct research geared towards rural transformation and conservation of biodiversity.
To achieve its vision and mission, the University wishes to fill the position of Vice Chancellor. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the vacancy.
POSITION: VICE CHANCELLOR
SALARY SCALE: M 1
REPORTS TO: THE UNIVERSITY COUNCIL
The Vice Chancellor Shall;
- Be responsible for the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University.
- In the absence of the Chancellor, preside at ceremonial assemblies of the University and confer degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Vice Chancellor Shall;
- Provide academic, administrative and financial leadership to the University and as such shall be responsible to the University Council for maintaining and promoting academic excellence, efficiency in financial management and good order in the University.
- Chair University Senate which is an organ responsible for the organization, control and direction of the academic matters of the University.
- Monitor performance of senior managers of the University to ensure that the vision and mission of the University are fulfilled.
- Ensure that the strategic plan of the University is implemented accordingly.
- Ensure that mechanism for academic staff attraction, development and retention are put in place for the purpose of ensuring steady academic development of the University.
- Provide leadership in mobilizing resources necessary for the implementation of the University policies, plans and programmes.
- Ensure optimal utilization of available resources, transparency and accountability.
- Take lead in advocacy for the University and its strategic interests through active engagement with Government, the community, internal and external stakeholders.
- Promote the image and reputation of the University nationally, regionally and globally.
- Promote cooperation between Gulu University and other universities as well as with other organizations nationally and globally.
- Represent the University in relevant fora in order to promote an understanding of the University’s mission and strategic interests.
- Report to the University Council and Chancellor on all matters pertaining to the University.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the University Council.